Rimolan - A New Immuno-Modulator
In 2004 there was observed growth of oncological diseases and chronic bacterially viral infections among small animals (dogs, cats etc.). There was also observed pathology connected with disturbance of reproductive function in animals of both sexes. Fundamental research was carried out in the area of human medicine. Results of the research have proved that one of the most important reasons for development of the above-mentioned pathology in humans is disturbance of function within the immune system, which can cause development of secondary immunodefficiency state.
In veterinary practice, research of this kind is very rare and systemized. As a result the principle of complex aetiopathogenetic therapy is not maintained very often. Such a "method" increases a pathology and causes chronization of the process.
In the last 10-15 years, active use of different immune products in treating bacterially-viral infection, oncopathology, and reproductive disturbances connected with immunology of reproduction has started development of a new direction in medicine, immune therapy. This is very widely used in medical practice at the moment. In veterinary practice, however, such a direction is not developed and is practically not studied.
In connection with this, problems of creating and studying clinical effectiveness of biologically active products obtained from tissues of natural origin are of great interest. It is proven that maximum preservation when manufacturing medical forms from natural proteins extends the spectrum of use of such products in medicine. This noticeably increases clinical effectiveness in complex anti-bacterial and anti-viral therapy in cases of oncological diseases and other pathologies.
These can be called products of 21st century because, as a large amount of research suggests, their clinical effectiveness is greater than the effectiveness of chemically synthesized products. The fundamental difference of such products is that they are harmless for the organism and cause practically no casual reactions.
The Riga Reproduction Center ("RRC"), in cooperation with Latvian Medical Academy ("LMA"), has worked out a new immunological product, Rimolan. The product has a patent and is registered for use in Latvia.
The product is obtained in lyophilized form and is used as injections. Work connected with creation of the product started in 1985. While working out a technology for obtaining the product, authors have created regimes which allow saving a naturally-balanced complex of biologically active substances with immunocompetent properties. The known biotechnology of obtaining such products in concentrated form includes a chemical purification of them. However, this leads to the decreasing of potential of immunobiological action of products, which is connected with loss of natural complex of immunocompetent proteins. As a result, when injected, the chain reactions of the immunoprotective mechanism are not fully realized. Multi-component immunoregulation is known to be achieved with the help of a group of products approaching their natural concentration in the body, rather than with the help of just one product extracted in isolation.
According to pre-clinical research of Rimolan, which was carried out in Latvia, Russia and Ukraine, the product shows a wide spectrum of immunotrope activity because it contains many biologically active substances, in the form of naturally-balanced components. Experimental pre-clinic research on the drug was conducted at the Institute of Oncology named after P.A. Gercen (Moscow), Russian Federation Institute of Immunology (Moscow), Ukrainian Scientific Hygienic Center of the Ukrainian Public Health Ministry (Kiev) and the Latvian Medical Academy (Riga). The drug has been tried on various animals: mice, rats, rabbits, guinea-pigs and dogs.
In the drug is fully preserved all the biologically active components such as IL-2, IL-1, and other cytokines and biological components. Having preserved the chemical composition of biologically active components, we were able to considerably improve the quantitative and functional indices in experiments and pre-clinic research.
With respect to the basic cytokines and other immuno-modulating factors, the composition has an advantage because it contains the above factors in the proportion similar to the naturally balanced concentrations.
It has been proved that RIMOLAN:
- Displays a wide range of immunity-forming activity;
- Stimulates the reactions of immune responses in secondary immuno deficiency;
- Facilitates the effector T-lyphocytes activity in the delayed hyper sensitivity cellular immunity reactions as well as in the reaction's "transplant against host";
- Stimulates and regulates cytophagous activity of neutrophiles when the initial indices are normal and with secondary immunodeficiency;
- Does not affect the hemolytic activity of the compliment and does not act upon the migration of the hemopoietic cells;
- Displays a valid effect to inhibit tumor growth both in treatment and prevention therapy; the tumor-inhibitory activity was investigated in vivo on mice using six tumor types: adenocarcinoma of the lungs - LLC, solid lympholeukosis - P-388, melanoma B-16, sarcoma S37, Erlich tumor and lymphadenoid leukemia L1210;
- Has a valid life-prolongation effect (experiment conducted with adenocarcinoma of the lungs - LLC and solid lympholeukosis - P-388);
- Does not display citotoxic effect, and acute toxicity in vitro has not been found. The research was conducted with the interwoven human cellular lines: mammary adenocarcinoma - MCF-7, ovary carsinoma - SKOV-3, epidermoid carcinoma of larynx - Hep2 and 8 primary cell cultures of human malignant growth of III-IV stages (1 ovary tumor tissue sample, 1 segmented intestine tissue sample, 6 - with ascites liquid of patients with ovary tumor);
- Has no mutagen activity;
- Does not induce gene mutations according to the maximimum type intensivity;
- Does not have any embryotoxicity (not found);
- Lethal dose for RIMOLAN (LD-50) has not been defined;
- The results of the pre-clinic research are presented in protocols.
Taking into account the above mentioned importance in studying the problem of treating disturbances of immunosystem function, the immunological laboratory of Riga Reproduction Center and the veterinary clinic "KAVET" have begun active work on the investigation of immunity showings and creating schemes of a complex therapy for small animals with bacterially-viral infections and oncopathology. A complex method with the additional use of methods of efferent extracoroporal haemocorrection allows obtaining a high clinical effectiveness in the above mentioned pathology.
One of the reasons for the presence of immunodeficiency is the disturbance of reproduction processes. At the moment it is known that there is a connection between the functions of a hormonal system and the immunological reactions of an organism. Although the problem is very important in veterinary medicine, it is practically un-studied.
Because of the composition of Rimolan, its spectrum of action is extended. An experiment on mice has shown that the product promotes an increase of reproductive functions both in females and males. In connection with this, research of the product will help to understand the mechanism of its action. The results will be important in systemizing and extending the spectrum of its clinical use.
It is of great interest to study the properties of manufactured products (like a cream or suppository) obtained from Rimolan. Pre-clinical results of their use have shown a high effectiveness in cases of bacterially viral infections and wounds, which normally heal with great difficulty. It is important to study the disappearance of pain symptoms in animals in cases of oncopathology.
Because of the small number of observations, there has been no chance to interpret the results of a regeneration of affected tissues or a partial regeneration in several organs.
During pre-clinical research in human clinics, it was shown that the product:
- Has a stimulating effect;
- Has an anti-viral and anti-bacterial effect;
- Increases immuno-reactivity of an organism, stimulates regeneration processes in cases of burns, traumas, trophic ulcers, after chemotherapy and radiotherapy;
- Promotes the recovery of cellular functions and humoral immunity in patients after irradiation;
- Stimulates the development of trophoblasts in pregnant subjects, preventing a habitual pregnancy failure, therefore it is important to inject the product for prophylaxis and treatment of spontaneous abortion and motionless pregnancy. Probably, the product will also be effective in case of infertility of an unknown etiology (may be with an immune form).
Eugenija Bikova, D.M.
Medical Firm SIA "RIGA REPRODUCTION CENTER"
Reg. No. 40003258494
Klusa str. 11, Riga, Latvia, LV-1013;